Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 3 North Battleboro, AK, to Yorkton, SK

We have slept in until 7:00 this morning.  I had trouble getting to sleep last evening again, but wake up like I have slept very hard.  Quick, turn on the coffeemaker...I need caffeine!

We are on the road by 7:45 and continue southeasterly on the Yellowhead Hwy, CA 16.  We are still in the heart of what appears to be the wheat land of Canada.  Large grain elevators dot the landscape.

As we get farther to the southeast, Saskatchewan is begining to subtly change.  Every low point in the wheat fields is now filled with water.  We must be in the prairie pothole area of Canada.  We also start seeing the ponds getting larger, and there are now lakes around, some of them large.

By 2:00 I am road weary.  Peggy calls ahead to a campground in Yorkton, SK, and yes, they have an opening for us!  We pull in and are setup by 3:00.  However, the supposed wifi, which the proprietor claims is working as she was just on with her tablet, is not Mac nor iPad nor iPhone friendly.  My Internet diagnoses says restart the wireless hub/router.  I suggest this to the lady, but the reply in a friendly tone is, “In seven years no customer has ever made that request.  And just last week we had an Apple user here who had the same trouble!”  

I walk away glad that at least I have roaming on my iPhone and can check email, etc. with it.  But I’m still bummed!  I send emails to my sister, brother, and another to the funeral home.  

Tomorrow is Peggy’s birthday!!  Not knowing what is ahead of us tomorrow, and since we have the time to spruce up, I’m taking her out to eat!  What a guy!  :o)

We go to Joe Beeverz, a bar and grill on the recommendation of the campground hostess.    I put the address into my GPS, but obviously my GPS and a Canadian address don’t mesh as we drive from end of Yorkton to the other which in a city of 17,000 inhabitants.  Finally we recognize a store that we were told it was near.

We get seated, order drinks, and start perusing the menu.  Hmmm?  Poutines look interesting.  We ask the waitress what they are- breaded french fries smoothed with a wide variety of other things.  We are emphatically told these are a true Canadian food.  They have a poutine called the Giant Pizza Lover - french fries covered with gravy, pepperoni, bacon, and pizza sauce.  I’m in!  Peggy gets a BBQ pulled pork poutine.  All we can say is when it comes to poutines, the Canucks have it!  They taste very good.  I can almost feel my arteries constricting with grease with each mouthful.

We finish eating and then drive around looking for a car wash based on the directions we were given.  No luck, so the pickup will have to stay dirty.

We fuel up and get back to the camper.  We watch one of 2 Canadian TV channels which help make us drowsy so we go to bed. 





No comments: