Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

July 21-23, Wasilla

July 21  It was a nice, quiet Sunday for Peggy and I.  OK, not so quiet for Peggy who went to the laundromat during the morning.  Wearing clean clothes must still be expected.

I worked on trying to get our trailer a bit more level as we had a slight lean to the port beam.  It is better now than when I started.

I also worked on trying to fix the glass turntable from our microwave which had decided to take a dive onto the floor of our camper on the way back from Ninilchik yesterday splitting itself into 2 pieces.  We will see if J-B Weld works as well on a rather heavy glass object as it does on other materials.  J-B Weld is the only repair material I have along except for Gorilla Tape, and I know how that would do.  I'm living up to my namesake and doubting my repair will hold.  I have a message into Frigidaire to get the part number so that we're prepared to order a new one if warranted.

Of course the NASCAR B Team (a.k.a. Nationwide Series) raced at Chicago today so I was able to get my car racing fix.  There was no Sprint Cup race today.  They are resting up for the big race at the Indianapolis 500 Speedway next weekend.

We had very nice phone conversations with our 2 daughters back home.  My initial call was from my oldest granddaughter, Macy.  She is 5 years old and going to Kindergarten.  She told me all about their families' camping trip to Rocky Mt NP.  She proudly said that she earned her Junior Ranger badge!  Good for her!  Both daughters report that they are all well but very busy.

I did have a bit of upsetting news from a friend of mine with whom I taught for years and also played fast pitch softball with.  One of his granddaughters was severely injured in a car accident.  I was relieved to hear that after surgery the prognosis for her recovery is very good!  We hope and pray this to be true.

After watching our installment of "Falling Skies" we went for our neighborhood walk and called it a day... a good day!!



July 22  Nothing really new to add to today's blog other than it was really warm here.  We ran our AC for most of the day.  The high today according to our thermometer was 80º!  That's very hot by the usual summer temps here in Alaska.  And I know back home that everyone would beg for a high temperature of only 80º!  It looked like the Omaha area had some strong storms go through this afternoon.  Hope everyone there is OK.

Peggy got up early and watered the flowers and looked in on Joey, the hangar cat, to feed him his canned food.  She was very stealthy as I didn't hear her get up or leave the camper.  She must have given the camper door a little extra slam when she got back as that woke me up. :o)

We washed the pickup and camper today.  While doing the camper I broke off the radio antenna's plastic support for the 2nd time!  Guess I'm a slow learner.  J-B Weld and I are getting to be really good friends.  :o(

Grilled chicken and had fresh cut broccoli from Debby's garden that Peggy had harvested for supper.  And I have to admit, it tasted very good...that coming from someone who doesn't rank broccoli at all close to the top of best veggies to eat.

Some TV for the evening and our neighborhood walk.  Man, life is tough here in the land of the 49th state!


July 23  Another warm day in Alaska, warm enough that we slept with the windows open last night.  But with it near 80º again today it was still comfortable.

Grant started a new project today- the disassembly of a Beaver airplane that was being stored on his property.  This type of plane has been used as a bush plane in Alaska and was built by the de Havilland Co. in Canada.  This model of Beaver was developed in the 1960s and has a turbocharged radial engine.  This particular plane has been sitting idle on Grant's property for about 16-20 years.  Although flightworthy at the time it was parked, it has now fallen into such a bad state of repair due to the owner's neglect that the project is to take it apart and have it trucked away.

The Beaver's wingspan just barely fit into the hangar.  Grant and his part time employee Jim put the plane on the hoist and spent a good amount of the morning removing the floats and putting wheels back on it so that it could more easily be moved around.  The plane was carefully pushed out of the hangar by 5 of us and parked on the concrete pad between hangars 1 and 2.

After lunch Peggy and I went shopping at WallyMart and Lowes.  We got a few groceries, and I needed to get some weatherstripping.  Our camper has a dust leak when it is being towed.  Dust accumulates on the kitchen counter.  At first I thought it might be the entertainment slide not closing tightly, but I have eliminated that after making some observations.  That leaves either the door or the kitchen window.  The evidence pointed to the door which had a couple of 1/2" gaps in its weatherstripping, and there was a coating of dust on some of the interior areas of the outside door.

I took the weatherstripping I had purchased and cut it to fit the gaps.  I also tighten the door so that when shut the weatherstripping is more compressed against the door frame.  We'll see if that is the cure or not next time we tow.

During the afternoon Grant and Jim worked (with my supervision, of course) on assembling a newly painted set of floats.  A plane also recently painted to match will be flown in and converted to a float plane.

After the first phase of their work was completed Debby and Grant came over, and we sat in the shade on the north side of our camper and had a cold beverage.  It was the kind that goes kkssssshh when you open the bottle!

We grilled our supper, watched some TV, took our walk, and today became the 76th day since we left home, if I've counted correctly!  Tomorrow we hope to cool it down a bit by taking a day trip to the Matanuska Glacier located about 65 miles northeast of here near the Glenn Highway.










No comments: